Monday, January 1, 2018

Warmest Wishes!

Dear Family and Friends,
Happy New Year from the frigid state of Illinois.  Nauvoo is a balmy -17 F with a chill factor of -31 F.  I felt sorry for the teamsters and FM people as they braved the weather and headed out to their duties. I'm so very thankful for all the weather gear we have. I can't imagine being out there in the conditions the Saints lived in. Of course in another hour I'll head out, but I'll only have to go from car to Lucy Mack Smith's house. Thank heavens the sites are heated.
The river is quite frozen. It is still a living moving body of water.  You can hear the currents and see and hear the ice move about. Bob told me there is a huge fine if you adventure out on the ice because it is so difficult to rescue anyone who might fall through and dangerous for the rescuers.  It looks so solid and sure.  Life is like that river and we need to be aware of possible hazards, especially those we are warned about.  You might get away with a trip on the "ice" but when the Lord tells us to stay away, that should suffice.

Image result for pic of nauvoo in winter

Recently in a training, we were told that the difference between African members of the Church and members in the U S is that when the members in Africa are asked to follow the prophet, they jump.  U S members start a conversation. I hope we can do better.
There are people still coming to Nauvoo, even though it is slow.  We had 3 tours in the Bakery yesterday in this cold. The Lord prompts people to come.  I have not had a day in over a week where there have been no tours.  In between, it is nice to visit, study, and do genealogy.  
2018 will be another year of change. 2017 was huge with 2 new grandsons, being on a mission, and all the adventures that went with it.  2018 will bring another granddaughter, serving in Carthage, and finishing our mission.  Hopefully we can leave Nauvoo but not leave it behind.  It changes your soul and deepens your resolve to be a better person.  For now, we'll love, learn , and laugh.
Another way to look at this day is that it is also the hottest day of the year so far.  Think about that!
Keep warm. The Lord will warm your soul.
Love,
Sister and Elder Long

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homecoming with Family & Friends

We enjoyed a very nice homecoming celebration & luncheon at our home after speaking in our ward. It was fun to be with all of our chi...