Monday, August 14, 2017

Even the Great Shall Fall

Dear Family and Friends,
We had a delightful week with Kimi, Matt, Jason, and Navy.  They were able to see many performances, go on the wagons and oxen, see the sites and go to the temple.  It is amazing just how much there is to take in, in Nauvoo.
The day after they left, there was a horrific rain and wind storm. Branches and trees were strewn everywhere. You can see the damage done to one of the trucks in the attached picture. 


Trees in the Midwest rot in the middle but appear to be healthy and strong on  the outside. Many of these trees are enormous. Then along comes just the right wind burst and the tree topples. I can't help but think of parallels in our own lives that are much like these rotted trees.  We need to be clean all the way through to stay strong. Not just individually but in families and communities. I'm sure you can think of many other metaphors that compare to these poor, apparently healthy trees.

Elder Long ran into a junior high/high school friend.  Gary Henry was watching one of our shows and recognized him. It was such a sweet reunion after all these years. Gary is going to their class reunion in Logan and took some pictures of them together to share with their classmates. Another long distance class reunion. Gary and his wife live in Nauvoo so other times are planned to catch up. Fun how things work out!

About 10 days ago one of the Elders in our mission suffered a severe stroke. Many didn't expect recovery. He had a blessing as he left in the ambulance and all the missionaries fasted and prayed for him. A miracle happened.  He was out of the hospital in a week and has little if any side effects.  The power of the Priesthood and prayers is real.

I gave away my first Book of Mormon the other day. It was a rewarding experience. A lady in the Visitor's Center approached me with many questions and wanted a Book  of Mormon. I answered her questions and gave her a pamphlet of  Joseph Smith's testimony along with the challenge to read the introduction of the book to gain an understanding of what she was about to read. I tried to follow up by getting her information but she wasn't ready for that. She was sincere and I believe I'll see her again this week as she is staying a few more days.  I felt such joy in sharing something so life changing and life giving. Being a missionary is more than I ever could imagine.  I now have an idea how missionaries keep going. The rewards are so satisfying.
Be strong, love the Lord, and remember you are loved.
Elder and Sister Long 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homecoming with Family & Friends

We enjoyed a very nice homecoming celebration & luncheon at our home after speaking in our ward. It was fun to be with all of our chi...