Dear Family and Friends,
This week has had its challenges. Last Monday our truck was struck by lightning. Yes, that's what I said, our truck was struck by lightning. We were in our apartment when the flash, boom, and reverberation all hit at the same time. It honestly felt like an earthquake. At the time we didn't know where the lightning struck. We just knew it was close. It wasn't until the next morning when the truck wouldn't open by the fobs that the investigation began. There is a huge burn mark spiraling down the tree where the truck was parked. Bark was blown all over the truck and grass burns next to the truck where the lightning exited. The truck has been towed to the dealership in Fort Madison and is being carefully analyzed to find the extent of the damage. Much of the electronics are fried! Good news to all of this is that it didn't strike the nearby power pole where 8 teamsters were standing at the time and Elder Long was assigned to write a much needed lightning policy for mission outdoor activities. Elder Long has had an amazing attitude through this whole adventure. He decided he could be upset and have a fried truck or happy and have a fried truck, either way he has a fried truck. We all grow up.
An experience I had this week was much less dramatic but humbling. There were 2 couples from France that came into the Visitors' Center for a map and instructions of where and what to do in Nauvoo. I speak no French and they spoke limited English. There was no one available to interpret for them so I did my best. About half way through our visit, one of the men asked me if I spoke French, I replied no. He inquired how I understood what they wanted. It was then I realized that I was understanding what they said and was able to answer their questions and properly guide them on places to go and things to see in Nauvoo. The Lord certainly loves and helps each of his children. Missionaries are given gifts to help teach the gospel.
Our hearts go out to all the people in Texas who are in such dire circumstances. I know there will be lots of help from the good people of our Nation and Churches. That's what we do. The Lord blesses us each day and some of our biggest blessings come because we help and serve others.
My Mom's sister, Aunt Carol passed away this past week. It's a blessing and I have a firm belief in the plan of salvation. I know life goes on for each of us and we continually grow and learn.
Again, we love all of you and wish you the best this week and all the days to come.
Sister and Elder Long
Obituary for Aunt Carol
| Carol Lynn Jensen-Grooms |
Carol Lynn Grooms
Richfield, Utah
Carol Lynn Jensen Grooms, 73, passed away at her home in Richfield, with
her son at her side, on August 24, 2017. She was born November 8, 1943 in
Richfield to Irvin Franklin and Alice Evelyn Roberts Jensen. She married
Russell Graham Grooms in October of 1997 in Las
Vegas. He preceded her in death May 17, 2006.
Russell and Carol were the first owners of Blue
Star Taxi, the first taxi service in Richfield andCedar
City started in April 1998. Beginning in 1973, she
operated Carol’s Ceramics and Dolls next to her
home in Richfield. She enjoyed art projects and was
able to receive a degree in art sciences through the
Los Angeles Art & Technology College in 1967.
She was a member of the LDS Church.
She is survived by her son, Russell Tyrone
Jensen, Richfield; sister, Nira Vay Eikrem, West
Valley City.
Also preceded in death by her parents; siblings: Keith (Marilyn) Jensen,
Mona Lou (Frank) Gentry, Rhea (Mack) Gentry; brother-in-law, Andy Eikrem.
Funeral services will be held on Friday, September 1, 2017 at 12:00 Noon
in the Magleby Mortuary Chapel, where friends may call from 10:00 to 11:30
a.m. Burial will be in the Richfield City Cemetery.
No comments:
Post a Comment