Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Really, July's over!

Dear Family and Friends,
Whoosh, zoom, wee!  That was the sound of July rushing by. This is the last week of pageant and then things in Nauvoo should calm down. I must admit that sometimes when you're on tour number 50 or so, it's difficult to keep going, but that is when you remember that families have worked hard to come to this wonderful place to be uplifted and rejuvenated. There are also those who are coming to see what Nauvoo is all about, and it's our task to give them the best there is. After a long day and there are still performances, you dig a little deeper and somehow it all works. Definitely ready to get a good night's rest. I used to wake up at night and check the clock, not now.  A blessing, really!
Early yesterday morning, I was riding my bike around Historic Nauvoo when I remembered that one of my goals when I retired was to walk or ride my bike each day. On the way to school I used to see bikers and walkers and wish I could join along. Wow, I never imagined I would do it in Nauvoo.  It's so beautiful and a wonderful way to start the day. Usually I am joined by a friend and that doubles the fun.
Speaking of the Pageants, they are very well done and so professional. It's remarkable how many people attend and it's well worth their time.  There are two different pageants, "The British Pageant" and "The Nauvoo Pageant." Both tell the special stories of the restoration of Christ's church in the latter days. "The British Pageant" was particularly meaningful to me because of the number of ancestors I have that came from Britain. I gained a stronger respect for them when I began to realize the sacrifices they made to leave their home countries and come to such a foreign land. And they left everything because they were called to do so by a living prophet, one they had never met. It gives me courage to face difficulties knowing that I am one of their descendants. We all have rich heritages.

BRITISH PAGEANT

Also called “The Truth Will Prevail”, the The British Pageant has been performed in Preston, England and is being performed in Nauvoo for its second season in the United States the summer of 2015. The British Pageant explores events surrounding the beginning of the Church in the British Isles and the impact of the British member's abiding faith and deep love for one another and the Savior.

NAUVOO PAGEANT

A stirring presentation of the story of Nauvoo, how it came to be, and what it meant to those who lived there in the 1840s. In doing so, the Nauvoo Pageant pays tribute to the Prophet Joseph Smith, commemorates the building of the original Nauvoo Temple, and celebrates universal themes of faith, family, and community.
The Nauvoo Pageant, narrated by Parley P. Pratt, emphasizes the prophetic mission of Joseph Smith and honors the sacrifice, faith and courage of the Saints who gave their all to build a city and a temple to their God.
  
These pageants are filled with authentic hymns and folksongs, lively dances, and tender moments that share the joy these early Church members found in living Christ's gospel. Through words taken from journals, sermons, and historic records of the period, the pageants invite all to feel the powerful testimonies of these faithful Christians.
------------------------------------------

I'd like to share a brief experience. While working in Guest services, I met two ladies that were not members of the church. They asked many questions, and I was able to bear testimony of the restoration of the gospel of Christ. I felt that they were almost ready for a Book of Mormon but that I was not the one to give it to them.  It was a strange impression, but I directed them to visit several sites including the Seventies Hall.  I said a quick prayer in my heart and sent them on their way.  At the Seventies Hall they were able to meet one of our Senior Sister Missionaries who did give them a Book of Mormon.  I ran into her later that evening, and she told me her experience. She has been struggling lately wondering if her mission has even touched anyone. She told me that today when she gave them each a book, she felt a confirmation that she was loved and needed as a missionary. (She goes home in a month.) It also gave me a confirmation that we each play a special part in Heavenly Father's plan, sometimes helping other missionaries.  By the way, the Seventies Hall is not one of the most frequently visited sites by non-members.

Seventies Hall
We love each of you and miss you but even more important God loves you and wants to bless you,
Sister and Elder Long

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homecoming with Family & Friends

We enjoyed a very nice homecoming celebration & luncheon at our home after speaking in our ward. It was fun to be with all of our chi...