Dear family and friends,
Happy Pioneer Day! Hope you have something fun planned with your families. We have such a wonderful heritage to celebrate.
This past week my life centered around joy. I had some rewarding experiences in the sights that reminded me that "Man is that he might have joy." I served in the Stoddard Tin Shop on Thursday, which might not sound like a big deal to you but it was. First of all, because of shortages of site missionaries, women are being put in the tin shop which is traditionally a man's site. It was my first time to serve there and it was an extraordinarily busy day. My companion gave me a demo and then off I went as a "trained" tour guide. In the Tin Shop you demonstrate how to make a pan. Everything is labeled (pretty much) so I took a deep breath and began. I guess my lack of skill was compensated by humor, because before I knew it there were people in the group that had been there earlier. One gal was collecting her friends to come see the "fun" sister in the Tin Shop. We all had quite a laugh. I guess the "cooking show" approach was an inspired idea. We all had a fun day and some of the guests told me it was their favorite tour. Who Knew? The Lord lets us use our strengths to compensate for weaknesses and still present gospel messages.
![]() |
| Stoddard Tin Shop |
Another incident occurred in the Family Living Center. As you know, my hair is curly. In this humidity, it is happy doing its own thing so I just let it and wear a big smile. Sometimes I wish it was straight but it's just not, so on I go. Anyway back to the Family Living Center. After a candle making demonstration, this cute little boy came up and gave me a big hug and told me that my hair is the best hair of all the sisters in Nauvoo. Sounds so silly but it meant a lot to me. It gave me the biggest boost ever. Later I thought how compliments lift each other. May we each remember how a sincere compliment can give true joy.
![]() |
| Inside Family Living Center |
![]() |
| Nauvoo Family Living Center |
Yesterday, Elder Long and I served in the Guest Services at the Visitor's Center. I'm so glad we have the chance to serve together at least 1 day a week and it's great to see things from another point of view. When you serve in different places you begin to understand the whole picture better. I guess that's why we all have the chance to serve in various ways. "Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you criticize." Good advice.
Nauvoo is such a busy place and it's a privilege to be able to serve so many of God's children and hopefully bring joy to them.
May you have a joyful week.
Love,
Elder and Sister Long (AKA - the sister with great hair who gives fun tours)



No comments:
Post a Comment