I have so much to share with you this week. I hope I can some way convey the marvelous experiences that Nauvoo brings to me. There are daily spiritual miracles. The early Saints truly accompany you when you serve here as well as touch the lives of the guests who visit.
I feel prompted to share a story with you. You know me, I’m the storyteller. Anyway this experience happened to me when I was attending BYU. One weekend I was traveling back to the Y after spending some time in Richfield. I was approaching Levan when I heard my Dad’s voice say, “Pull over and lock the passenger’s door!” It was so emphatic that I did so immediately. (It was before the days of power locks) I thought it very strange but drove on. As you know, Levan has a stop sign right on the edge of town at the highway intersection. At that intersection there used to be a gas station on the right side of the road. As soon as I stopped at that stop sign, a man ran out of the station on a dead run and tried to open my car door. I quickly pulled away and no entrance was made because the door was locked. I was so grateful I had heeded the prompting to secure the door.
This story reminded me of the counsel given in conference last weekend to obey promptings the first time. Life would be so different if I hadn’t locked my door. I want you to know I believe in promptings and hope to be better at following them, especially the first time given.
Today we went over to Carthage. I love Joseph Smith and all that he blessings he has made available to each of us. The restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ with its ordinances and blessings to be with our Father in Heaven is possible because of Joseph Smith. The incredible spirit of Carthage is so strong. The Holy Ghost bears witness to those who visit that sacred place.
| Carthage Jail |
We learn so much each day and I didn’t know I had so many testimonies in me. There are so many chances to bear witness of our Savior, the Book of Mormon, and the sacrifice of the early Saints who lived here. They gave their all.
The plays are coming along. Each week we are given more parts. It really is fun and it keeps you fit and away from TV. No time or you’re just too tired. I really don’t mind living in this spiritual bubble away from the events of the world.
Each morning I get up early and go walking with another Sister. (Elder Long starts work with the horses 2 hours before I start at the sites.) We walk for about 30 minutes and go 2 miles or so. It’s helping me to learn Nauvoo. It’s so beautiful with flowers, trees, all the green, cardinals and other birds. We live right by Joseph Creek so with the barn right next to us, it feels like home. We can see the temple from one window of our home and the Mississippi from another.
The crock pot has become my best friend. After I walk, I put dinner in the crock pot, go to one of the sites, come home to a nice dinner, and then we’re off to one of the plays. When we get home we study and then go to bed. It’s great.
I love each of you and hope you can enjoy Nauvoo through my emails. Most of all I want you to know the Church is true and we should follow promptings. They may not always save our lives but they will save our spirits. We can get nearer to God by listening to His advice and counsel.
With all my heart,
Sister Long (AKA Mom, Gramma, or Max)
No comments:
Post a Comment