Sunday, April 30, 2017

Who Needs TV?

Dear family and friends,

If you think it's always quiet in Nauvoo, let me tell you about the scariest thunderstorm ever. I was serving Saturday in the Cultural Hall with a new sister who was on her first site assignment.

She arrived in Nauvoo just a week ago. It was raining as hard as possible with water running down the streets. All of a sudden there was a gynormous flash with an instantaneous kaboom. The three story cultural hall roiled like an earthquake had hit. I leaped in the air. Moments later there was a sizzle coming from the lights. The first thought was that we had been hit. Sister Finlinson and I grabbed our coats to run outside to check the damage. None was apparent, so we decided to get out of the torrential downpour. We had just entered the doors when again the crackling/sizzle in the lights went off. We decided to call the site leader to find out what to do. We were advised to call facility management. (FM) It was closed on Saturday. Next step, I called the visitor's center. I was greeted by a recording. The sizzling sounds were now intermittent. Should we evacuate into the storm? This was a dilemma. We felt an obligation to the historic hall, so I called the emergency number listed in big letters by the phone. This time I reached the dispatch for Nauvoo City.

"Address please?" asked the sweet voice on the phone.

I told her we were at the Cultural Hall on Main Street in Old Nauvoo. She told me she needed the cross road to determine which power company to call. I told her I didn't know and it was now lightning all around and I didn't think it was a good idea to run outside and look. She said she'd send a police officer. He arrived in a few minutes. The sound and lights seemed to be okay so I felt a bit foolish. But as soon as he entered the building the sizzle and lights went off again. Wow he really jumped!

"Where is the breaker box?" he excitedly called.

We didn't know so the search began. None of us could find it so he called the fire chief. Shortly the fire chief arrived. On cue the light/sizzle happened. He couldn't find the breaker box either so he called the director of facility management. We now realized the crackle sound seemed to come from the speaker system but it was turned off so we unplugged it too, just to be safe. Finally the box was found behind the door in the Men's restroom. All the circuits seemed okay, so the officer and chief left.

Moments later the FM director arrived to hear the story. He assured us we did the right thing by calling but said next time to call him. Who knew? He decided to check the building to make sure all was well. That's when he found the flood in the basement. Water was bubbling out of the clogged storm drain and pouring in. The floor was covered. He unclogged the drain and cleaned up the mess. It was finally time to go home. I wonder if Sister Finlinson will want to stay. What a first day at the sites for her!

So who needs TV? Nauvoo is exciting all on its own!

We have had a good week and even some "normal tours".

Turn off the TV and enjoy life.

Love,
Sister and Elder long

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homecoming with Family & Friends

We enjoyed a very nice homecoming celebration & luncheon at our home after speaking in our ward. It was fun to be with all of our chi...